Why Leadership in Education
Our graduates are trained to take on leadership roles in a variety of education institutions and organizations.
Below are some examples of how a graduate from the Leadership in Education Department could put a degree from our programs to use.
Upon completion of the degree, our students pursue careers as scholar-practitioners, college faculty, chief academic officers, in policy analysis, and as senior-level college or university administrators.
Examples of positions our graduates hold include:
- Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Associate Professor/Professor of Higher Education
- Associate Dean of Students
- Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management
- Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Vice President of Institutional Research, Planning, and Assessment
- Senior Director of Housing and Residence Life
- Dean of Graduate and Continuing Education
- Director of the Campus Center
- Director of Community and Organizational Development
- Consultant in higher education and nonprofit management
Ninety-five percent of graduates work in eastern Massachusetts as district and school administrators, as college faculty, as scholar-practitioners, and in policy analysis.
Examples of positions our graduates have held or currently hold include:
- Superintendents of Schools (Lynn, Avon, Malden, Canton, Archdiocese of Boston, Revere)
- Assistant Superintendents and District-level Directors in Boston and surrounding areas
- Principals and Assistant Principals in public, pilot, and charter schools
- Teacher Leaders
- Mayor of Framingham, MA
- Full-time higher education faculty members (UMass Lowell, Emmanuel College, Wheelock College, Northeastern University, Cambridge College, Bridgewater State University)
- K-12 practitioners who hold adjunct appointments at the college level
- Policy professionals who work for state and local offices, education reform and advocacy groups, and nonprofits
Our graduates are leaders who support the transformation and design of schools and community organizations at all levels.
Examples of positions our graduates have held or currently hold:
- Assistant Principal/Principal
- Director of Instruction
- Principal Leader
- Director of Special Education
- Curriculum Coordinator
- Assistant Dean of Students
- Senior Director of Teacher Development Initiatives
- Coordinator of Access and Equity in the Office of Charter Schools and School Redesign
- Preschool Director